When UFC president Dana White teased of a ‘left field’ announcement by Conor McGregor after UFC 205, rumors began to swirl.
Amongst them, were tabloid rumors that McGregor was planning to take some time off from the sport to catch-up with his family in Ireland.
‘The Notorious’ cleared things up on Thursday and hinted that he does plan to make an announcement, but it doesn’t involve taking any time off from the UFC.
“You’re absolutely crazy even mentioning a click bait crowd like that. The Irish Mirror? Who the (expletive) is that? Who even is that? They don’t know (expletive) about me or what I’m doing,” McGregor yelled during UFC 205’s conference call (h/t Damon Martin of FOX Sports).
“Look, stay tuned to what I’m announcing but don’t be listening to people like that. People like that know nothing got to do with what is going on here.”
McGregor will collide with lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez at UFC 205 and will look to capture titles in two different weight classes. The Irishman knocked out Jose Aldo to seize the featherweight belt at UFC 194 and plans to make history on Nov. 12.
McGregor said he hasn’t revealed his announcement to anyone and urges fans to sit tight.
“Just sit tight. Nobody knows. In reality, nobody knows,” McGregor said. “I’ll reveal all in time.”
His opponent, Alvarez, is a former two-time Bellator champion and is one of the most accomplished lightweights in the sport. The Philadelphia local knocked out the highly touted Rafael dos Anjos earlier this year and holds wins over the likes of Anthony Pettis, Gilbert Melendez and current Bellator LW title holder, Michael Chandler.
UFC 205, which will feature Alvarez vs. McGregor in the main event, takes place on November 12 at Madison Square Garden in New York.