Jan 11, 2018 at 3:10p ET
Dallas wide receiver Brice Butler joins Colin Cowherd and Kristine Leahy on The Herd to discuss Dez Bryant and what's next for him in Dallas.
– So let me ask you. If Dez, is there, will you go back?
– Um, with Dallas, you know, if– the situation has to be right for me to go back. I have to be a starter. If I'm not starting, I'm not going back.
– Listen, I've said for two years, I understand that wide receivers have a little diva.
– You're the first to break the huddle, you're often the best athlete. You don't need a blocker. A lot of times, it's, bro, go catch it.
– Right, right.
– It's almost an NBA position in football.
– Like, I get Odell Beckham having a little diva.
– Then there's, the diva becomes bad for the room.
– Is Dez– I see the Cowboys go to him early in games. Are you guys doing that so he stays in game? I mean, is part of that a problem– is part of that thing what you do with Dez, which is go early to him to keep him engaged?
– Um, I wouldn't say it's– it's a thing to keep him engaged. Obviously, every week, you have a game plan. And he's our marquee guy, receiver–
– –especially, you know, on the team. So it's not– I don't think it's a try to keep him engaged type deal. It's just how the flow of the game is going early.
And, you know, he's a passionate guy. He's always been that way– um, unapologetic about it. And I don't want him to apologize for being passionate, because you need passion to play this game.
And sometimes, you know, he sees things happening that he doesn't want to happen. And it's not– it's not always, you know, self idolized or whatever. It's not always me, me, me.
He can probably just see the game going, like, if we play– if we keep calling plays like this, or we keep doing this, we're not going to win this game. And that's why sometimes you might see him going off on the sideline early in the game. You know, a lot of people think it's always him just being like, oh, give me the ball, give me the ball. Most of the times, it's– I would say, like, 70% of the times, it's like, I don't think we're doing the right stuff right now.
– Yeah, but that's what coaches are for.
– Like, you've got to be, as a player–
– Oh, yeah.
– –you play, they coach.
– And like I said, he wouldn't– he knows this. We have these conversations. Like, I don't agree with him all the time.
– You know what I'm saying? But obviously, you know, when you're in the game or whatever, you're not going to have argument about that type of stuff.
– You know, you talk about it during that week.
– Dez wants to coach and play. And players should play, and coaches should coach. That's my theory.
– Yeah. I mean, I feel like when it comes to anybody on a football team that should have a lot of say so of what happens for offense or for defense should be your middle linebacker–
– On defense.
– –and your quarterback.
– Yes, yes.
– You know, who– your guys who are, you know, calling the shots.
– Those are the verbal positions.
– Right. And then, you know, you get some teams that might have a lifer like a Charles Woodson. You know, a Jason Witten. You know, guys that's been around the–
– –organization for a while, you know what I'm saying? That might have a little bit more say so with things that happen, you know. So yeah, I would say it's typically your most vocal players, or the guys that have some type of– some type of, uh, what's the word I'm trying to use?
– Yeah, impact on what's going on.
– Mike linebacker and your quarterback.
More The Herd With Colin Cowherd Videos
Colin Cowherd’s deep dive into the first 34 games of Lonzo and LeBron’s rookie seasons
15 mins ago
Herd Hierarchy: Colin’s Top 8 NFL teams after 2017-2018 Divisional Week
2 hours ago
Colin Cowherd’s advice to Thunder’s Russell Westbrook ‘shoot less,win more’
2 hours ago
Brice Butler on future in Dallas: ‘If I’m not starting, I’m not going back’
2 hours ago
TOM vs TIME: Colin Cowherd reveals how Brady actually losing his battle against the clock is a good thing
3 hours ago
Colin Cowherd shares the most important aspect of Big Ben’s influence in Pittsburgh
4 hours ago